Compost & Recycling Center, 108 Carlisle Rd.
The Compost & Recycling Center schedule will continue to be open to residents from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Wednesday and Saturday.
The following materials are accepted for drop-off Recycling:
Resident access stickers are free, but required and can be obtained at the Bedford Department of Public Works, 314 Great Rd., during business hours. Bring your vehicle registration and driver’s license or utility bill as proof of residency when requesting a sticker.
- Flattened cardboard
- Rechargeable batteries
- Glass bottles and jars
- Mercury-containing devices
- Scrap metal (no large appliances)
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Textiles (bagged, in any condition as long as clean & dry)
Free finished compost and wood chips are available to the left of the site when approaching the exit. The material is generated from what residents bring to the site. The finished compost is sifted, but not tested for quality or contaminants.
Spring Recycling Events
Spring special recycling events will be held on Saturday, May 6 and Saturday, May 20. Returning recycling opportunities include e-waste, on-site paper shredding, Styrofoam (#6 EPS solid white packaging bracing only), and bulky rigid plastics. More details are available on the DPW's website.
Curbside Yard Waste:
Spring curbside yard waste will be collected on Monday, April 24. Acceptable material includes:
- Leaves, pine needles, grass clippings
- Garden trimmings and weeds
- Tree material up to one inch (one inch) in diameter.
Place yard waste in paper yard waste bags or open barrels that are clearly marked “yard waste.” Avoid using old rectangular recycling bins for yard waste as these can be difficult for the drivers to identify. Yard waste in plastic bags will be left behind.
Food Waste Composting Programs Available
Residents can still take advantage of various programs for composting their food scraps and other compostable waste.
1. Reduced-price backyard compost bins are available at the DPW for $45 each.
2. Free Curbside Starter Kits for new Black Earth Compost subscribers. Sign up for curbside service (current cost is $80.99 for six months of weekly pickup) and receive a free green curbside bin and supply of compostable liners from the DPW. The cost of service for everyone will be reduced when 500 families sign up for the program.
3. Free Drop-off Food Waste Program – Sign up at https://www.bedfordma.gov/478/Trash-Recycling to participate in the drop-off pilot program at the Compost & Recycling Center.