- Public Works
- Trash & Recycling
- Trash & Bulk Items
Trash & Bulk Items
Trash Program Basics
- Trash will be collected from town-issued carts and official overflow bags only.
- All trash must fit into the cart with the lid closed.
- Carts must be at the curb for collection by 7 AM.
- Carts must be set out at the curbside, clear of all obstacles (including mailboxes, utility poles and other carts) and accessible to the automated collection arm.
- Missed Pickup: NEW! Report missed collection online using the new Waste Wizard tool (Click "Need Help") on the main Trash and Recycling page or by 2 PM on Wednesday following the missed pickup, for recovery on Thursday.
Too much Trash?
Overflow Bags: Use blue overflow bags for trash that does not fit into the 48-gallon cart. Bags can be purchased at Moison's ACE Hardware, Stop & Shop or Whole Foods.
Additional Trash Carts: Residents may submit an application for additional trash carts by visiting the Online Permitting Page. Please note, if you have not previously used the online permitting system, you will need to create a new account before submitting your application. The annual fee is $185, plus a one-time $75 administrative fee. Additional recycling carts are not available at this time.
Trash & Recycling carts are the property of the Town of Bedford. Maintenance of the carts is the responsibility of the property owner. A dirty cart is easily cleaned with a power washer. Report damaged carts to the DPW at 781-275-7605, ext. 4261.
If you suspect your cart has been stolen, please obtain a police report before calling the DPW.
Mattresses and Box Springs
Schedule mattresses and box spring collection at the UTEC mattress recycling website.
- Mattresses and box springs are collected at the curb twice per month, by appointment.
- Place all items at the curb by 7 AM on collection day, but not more than 24 hours in advance.
- All size mattresses are accepted.
- NO wet or excessively soiled mattresses.
- NO futons, or fold-out sofa bed cushions.
- NO air mattresses, water beds, or infant sleeping pads.
- Please note that Republic Services will no longer pick up recyclable mattresses and box springs for bulky item disposal.
Bulky Waste Disposal - Use the Waste Wizard
- Residents may schedule one bulky item per week for disposal.
- ACCEPTABLE ITEMS INCLUDE:
- Household Furniture (including wooden, plastic and upholstered)
- Carpet & Rugs (rolled & tied, cut down to 4ft lengths, no more than 50LBS per roll)
- Oversized plastic items
- For electronic items, white goods, metal items and tires, please view the fee schedule below.
- NO Construction Waste (include wood/pallets, brick, concrete or toilets, sinks, bathtubs)
- NO bags of miscellaneous items - use an overflow bag (see above for details.)
- Click here to view current Fees (updated July 1, 2022) (PDF)
- Before you spend money on bulky disposal, check the Waste Wizard tool for other options.
Unacceptable Trash Items
Disposal of any building, renovation, or construction material is the responsibility of the property owner. This includes toilets, sinks, bathtubs, wood waste, brick, concrete, etc. Residents should contact a private disposal service or utilize a dumpster bag.
- What if I can't fit all my trash in the cart?
If you occasionally have more trash than can fit into the cart with the lid closed, use an official overflow bag.
- Can I request an extra trash cart?
Yes. Additional trash carts are available for an annual fee. Submit the online Trash Cart application. Annual invoices for the second trash carts are issued on October 1. Unpaid carts are subject to removal for non-payment.