Sometimes people fall victim to scams. If it happens, here are steps to take:
- Check your credit report to ensure no one is trying to open credit using your credentials. The three major credit reporting companies are Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.
- Put an initial fraud alert on your credit report. This alert makes it harder for someone to open an account in your name because a business must verify your identity before it can issue credit. The alert stays valid for 90 days.
- Check your bank account and credit card statements for any unusual activity.
- Contact a financial institution directly if you think an account there may have been breached.
- Report the crime to your local police, NW3C website, and Federal Communications Commission Complaints page.
- If you fear your identity may be stolen, file an identity theft report: on the Federal Trade Commission Consumer Government website.